Wednesday, April 18, 2012

New player questions about dungeons

I've been playing for a few months now (with a hunter) and this last week I started doing dungeons. Overall it's gone well, but I have had a few problems:

1. Knowing which target the tank is attacking. When the tank pulls it's pretty obvious who he is attacking, but after the first mob dies I'm not sure where to attack next. Is there some way of knowing which target the group if focusing on?

2. Even if I do know what to attack, sometimes it's hard to click on the target. I end up standing there looking stupid while I'm trying to click. Is there a good way to switch between targets? I know the Tab button is supposed to this, but I'm afraid that if I hit tab I will pull mobs from another group that we aren't fighting. Is there a better way than Tab?

3. Stopping auto-attack. I always start attacking by right clicking, which shoots my normal attacks, then start using skills. The problem is that I don't know how to stop attacking. This usually isn't a problem, but I'm worried that I'm going to get in a situation where I need to stop attacking and not be able to. This already happened once when I laid a freezing trap, pulled the mob into the trap with a regular shot, then immediately broke the trap with my next shot. Needless to say the group was angry. Next time I will pull with a left-click then arcane shot, but I still think I should know to stop attacking. How do I do this?

Thanks for any friendly advice.

1/2 I always set the tank as my focus, not only does this allow you to see what the tank is tanking, but you can quickly select his target, this also has the benefit of being able to make a MD macro that MD's to your focus (ie the tank), if heaven forbid you pull aggro/want to help with initial agro. I haven't had problems with tab, and even if I did I still have FD and deterence.
3 You could move the autoattack ability down to your bar, where if you want to stop it you can simply hit the key(s) necessary to stop your autoattack, however I find this to be completely and totally unecessary, all situations I can think of are easily remedied by simply not targeting what you don't want to shoot. Also in the future if you could use trap launcher and then click on the trap you want to place it will make your life so much easier, the days of having to shoot a mob into a trap are over.
Happy Huntings

1. My UI (Tukui) shows the target of my focus, which I set to the tank. I also use a macro to cast Misdirection on my focus without having to target the tank.

2. Do you have enemy nameplates enabled? Much easier to target mobs by clicking and you can see their health. I can't play without them. Default key to turn them on is V.

3. Spam your Escape key.
i use xperl. it allows you to place a frame on your screen to show target of target, focus, focus target, or any other combo you may want
Good questions, OP...

In addition to making the tank your focus, you can also write yourself a macro that assists your focus. This ensures you are attacking the same thing. Two words of warning, however. Sometimes the tank will accidentaly target something he doesn't want killed or attacked, so make sure the target makes sense to you before you assist (i.e. isn't cc'd or across the room). Second, give the tank a few seconds after the pull to make sure the kill target is settled or marked.

Regarding autoattack, I've always found it useful to bind that (via macro that includes a /petfollow command) to a key that isn't too central or far away. That way you can stop everything on a dime if need be.

Good luck out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment